Autism Therapist – Entry Level – San Jose, California
Emerging Milestones is dedicated to helping children on the Autism Spectrum. Our team provides a variety of services to support individuals with disabilities to address life’s challenges and achieve personal goals by provide evidence-based state-of-the-art behavioral therapy and consultation services. Our BCBAs create individualized intervention plans using Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA).
Autism Therapist Job Description:
The position of Autism Therapist will be to take part in working with and teaching children with special needs as part of a team. The individuals who are chosen to work as an Autism Therapist will be trained by Board Certificate Behavior Analysts (BCBA) and/ or licensed Clinical Psychologists. All Autism Therapist candidates will be trained in the basics of Applied Behavior Analysis, specifically a teaching technique known as Discrete Trial Training and Natural Environment Training. The training will also include information on how to implement other teaching methodologies that have proven to be helpful with children with Autism. Upon completion of training and overlaps with current Behavioral Interventionist, the Behavioral Technician will conduct structured sessions in the client’s home setting and/or school environment. Autism Therapists implement changes made to the child’s home program/school programs and ensure that they are taking daily data on each program/goal taught. Timeliness and consistency is crucial; as is overall professionalism. The objective of the Autism Therapist is to foster the child’s independence across different settings and promote success. Professional Development Opportunities to become a Qualified Autism Services Practitioner (BCBA), Case Manager, Program Supervisor, and more!
Autism Therapist Basic Responsibilities/Requirements:
- Provide 1:1 individualized behavior therapy in child’s home, community, school or daycare;
- Assisting in restructuring factors and activities to support the clients’ behaviors
- Complete necessary daily data collection, and session notes related to implementation of the intervention plan;
- Review behavior plans and other instructional materials developed by Behavior Analysts and/ or Clinical Psychologists;
- Include parents/caregivers in sessions to promote generalization and involvement;
- Attend staff and/or team meetings;
- Communicate effectively with all team members and client family/caregivers;
- Must have reliable transportation (driving is required)
- Provide proof of valid driver license and current auto insurance;
- Pass background/fingerprint clearance through DOJ and FBI;
- Provide/obtain proof of negative TB, and MMR and Varicella vaccinations and/or titers;
- Physical Competence/Health Screening required.
- Complete CPR training (provided by the Emerging Milestones)
Autism Therapist Qualifications/Skills:
- Emerging Milestones will train and certify to become a Board Certificated Autism Technician (BCAT), or Registered Behavior Technician (RBT)
- High School Diploma required and be at least 18 years of age (Required)
- In pursuit of Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in psychology, early childhood education/development, or related field, OR, the equivalent of 2 years of college coursework at an accredited college or university (preferred)
- One or more years of related experience with children with autism spectrum disorders and/or other related developmental disabilities (preferred)
- Ability to work with children, in their natural setting.
- Demonstrate good judgment, decision-making, and communication skills
- Exercise discretion and maintains confidentiality
- Communicates effectively, verbally and in writing
Autism Therapist Benefits:
- Highly competitive wages; range depending on experience and employee availability.
- Training Pay
- Retention Bonus!
- Paid drive time between client locations
- Mileage reimbursement between client locations
- BCBA program fee reimbursement offered
- BCBA supervision hours provided
- Paid Sick Time accrual (starts on day 1)
- FT (30+ hours/week) Health + Dental Insurance)
- Retirement Benefits – Simple IRA with 3% company match!
- Full Time OR Part Time Positions available, Flexible work schedules (for example M-F, MWF, or TTHSat, Afternoon / Evening shifts available, weekend options available, etc.)
- Offer a range of growth opportunities.
Autism Therapist Physical Requirements:
- Physical Competence/Health Screening required.
- Ability to stand or sit for extended periods of time, stand for up to 6-8 hours a day.
- Frequent bending, reaching, squatting, kneeling, twisting in order to observe, assess, and interact with clients.
- Occasional sitting and maintaining close visual attention to write reports and work at the computer.
- Ability to physically implement behavior management strategies including responding to physically aggressive behavior.
- Visual and auditory ability to work with clients, staff and others in the workplace continuously.
- Frequent driving (to and from office and client homes). Occasional lifting, carrying, and loading/unloading toys and materials up to and including 25 lbs. to 50 lbs. used in home visits.
- Frequent exposure to disability disorders in clients; occasional emergency situation; occasional exposure to trauma; constant client contact and decision making; constant concentration required when working with clients.
- Frequent work inside client homes; occasional work in outdoor settings.
If you have educational background in any of the following fields, we encourage you to apply: Behavior Science, Autism Paraprofessional, Child Development, Counseling, Early Childhood Education, Early Intervention, Education, Human Development, Psychology, Sociology, Special Education, Teacher Assistant, Teacher’s aide or related field.
Our exceptional team is actively hiring students and graduates of San Jose State University and other local colleges/ universities as Autism Therapists, Registered Behavior Technicians (RBT), Behavioral Interventions (BI), and Board Certified Autism Technicians (BCAT) to work with our clients diagnosed with Autism in the home and community settings in San Jose, California, located in the South Bay region of the Bay Area.
Emerging Milestones provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
|Entry Level Autism Therapist
|Minimum Education Required
|High School Diploma
|Yes, (Full Time)
|Yes, (Full Time)
|Simple IRA with 3% Match
|Paid Drive Time between Clients
|Afternoon preferred for Part-Time (~ 3pm-7pm)
|Full Time, Part Time / Flexible Schedule